Coconut Lime Grilled Chicken Thighs
Serves: up to 4 | Cooking time: 6 hours
Developed by Brooklyn Supper for Farmer Focus.
“Savory-sweet and perfectly charred, these grilled pineapple chicken kebabs are made with marinated chicken and pineapple, bell peppers, and red onions.”
2 packages Farmer Focus Bone-in Skin-on Chicken Thighs
1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
¼ cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1 - 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
2 tablespoons grated ginger
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, smashed, peeled and minced
1 16-ounce can coconut milk (use light or full-fat), shaken
1 bunch cilantro, stems and all, chopped
2 green onions, ends trimmed, chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
1 clove garlic, smashed, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 - 4 tablespoons water, as needed
2 limes, cut into wedges
- The night before, or at least 6 hours ahead of time, prep the chicken and the marinade. Set the chicken thighs in a rectangular dish (just big enough to accommodate the thighs). Sprinkle thighs on both sides with ½ teaspoon sea salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the lime juice, jalapeños, ginger, brown sugar, and garlic. Stir, then fold in the coconut milk. Carefully pour over the chicken thighs, cover, and refrigerate.
- When ready to make the chicken, start a hot grill. Bank the hot coals to one side to create zones of direct and indirect heat. Place marinated chicken, skin side down over the hot coals. Cook 2 – 3 minutes, flip, and cook 2 – 3 minutes more, until both sides are nicely browned. Use long tongs and be careful of flare ups. Move chicken, skin side up, over indirect heat, cover the grill, and cook until the temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- To make the sauce, pulse to combine the cilantro, green onions, jalapeño, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, and sea salt. Then switch the food processor on and process until smooth. Add water as needed until the mixture is smooth enough to drip off a spoon. Taste and add sea salt as needed.
- Serve chicken topped with sauce, plus more on the side. Garnish with lime wedges.
View All Recipes
Developed by Lisa Leake exclusively for Farmer Focus! “Easy one-dish dinner that’s allergy-friendly! It’s dairy-free and, if you use gluten-free soy sauce, also gluten-free. Plus, you can make it all in one pan, and it’s great leftover.”
Recipe developed by Chef Michael Symon exclusively for Farmer Focus! Print Recipe
Developed by Sean Peters of My Body My Kitchen, exclusively for Farmer Focus! “Buttermilk, like yogurt, is slightly acidic which makes it great for tenderizing meats. The acid in buttermilk breaks down the protein fibers in chicken without toughening the meat in the way that stronger acids (e.g. lemon juice, vinegar, etc.) would. In terms of flavors, you will love the combination five-spice powder and garlic in this easy chicken dish.”